Navigation Top
AGO Logo Graphic
AGO Header Image
File a Complaint
Contact the AGO
All Consuming
Return to main blog
Courts offer break on your overdue traffic fines

Courts offer break on your overdue traffic fines

(Credit and Money Matters) Permanent link

Washington courts are offering a one-time amnesty program for folks with unpaid parking tickets and traffic fines. Pay now and they'll waive your late fees.

During the month of May, 110 district and municipal courts across the state are participating in the "Debt Reduction Program." Once tickets are paid in full, the court will notify the state Department of Licensing to clear the driving record. Drivers can confirm whether their license is valid at this link.

Posted by AGO Blog Moderator at 04/28/2009 04:57:33 PM | 

Hello. My son has overdue fines from a few years ago when he took a job driving semi truck which involved crossing into washington state from BC. He then quit driving truck and didn't pay the fines. I heard about the "deal" being offered to clear up the debt, and would like to learn more as to how to proceed from here. I would like to find out how much is owed and what is the end result and his standing in the US, if I pay it off for him. Thank you. Wendy
Posted by: wendy hein ( Email ) at 5/11/2009 12:22 PM

Hi Wendy, Please contact the court where he received the ticket. Our office is not involved in the program. Kristin
Posted by: Kristin Alexander ( Email ) at 5/11/2009 12:29 PM

Hello, My daughter has a overdue fines from a traffic ticket. My daughter has no licence when she got the traffic ticket, during that time I was at Barrow Alaska for work..My car has insurance and she was scared to let me know, until I received a bill from Alliance the amount need to paid is $1625.00. I was shocked please let me know what I need to know, so I can paid this fines for her , so she can get her license..
Posted by: Malia N Tuifua ( Email ) at 9/1/2009 3:19 PM

Malia, check with the court where the fine originated. Chances are that once a bill has been turned over to collections, you will have to deal with the collection agency to pay off the outstanding debt. You will also need to be sure the collection agency reports the payment to the court where the fine originated. You should then contact the Department of Licensing to determine next steps. Contact DOL at (360) 902-3900 or Note that a teen must not have any traffic violations within 6 months of applying for the license and must not have been convicted of any alcohol or drug offense while holding an instruction permit. Your daughter is fortunate to have such a generous mother. I hope she appreciates it and learns from her error.
Posted by: Kristin Alexander, All Consuming Moderator ( Email ) at 9/2/2009 4:42 PM

WILL THIS PROGRAM BE OFFERED IN THE YEAR OF 2011? Thank-You [MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: You'll need to check with your local court.]
Posted by: Shae Dave ( Email ) at 3/6/2011 11:49 PM

I have fines I have not been able to pay due to the fact I have not had a job since 2006 what should I do they are anywhere from 2006 on? Need advice now [BLOG MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: We can best serve you by suggesting you contact a private attorney for advice. The Attorney Referral Service can direct you to attorneys with expertise in specific areas of law:]
Posted by: carcrusher ( Email ) at 2/22/2012 7:12 PM

Are they offering this program for 2012? [ALL CONSUMING MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: Thurston County is offering a similiar program for April 2012:]
Posted by: Cammi ( Email ) at 4/12/2012 10:48 PM

is seattle offering this program for 2012, if so where do i go [MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: You'll need to check with your local court.]
Posted by: sylvia ( Email ) at 4/18/2012 9:53 AM

Does anybody have any more information on any programs comming up Sept.2012 [ALL CONSUMING MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: You'll need to check with your local court.]
Posted by: Dre ( Email ) at 9/13/2012 12:17 PM

Michelle again, apologies I hit send before I completed. All I want to know is there anyway to get a prayer for judgment when tickets have gone to collections. I can't not afford a lawyer and we live in NC now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. thank you [ALL CONSUMING MODERATOR'S RESPONSE: We can’t provide legal advice to citizens, but we can refer you to the NW Justice Center at for more information.]
Posted by: Michelle ( Email ) at 11/5/2012 6:17 PM

Several years ago I received a traffic fine and moved out of state and forgot to pay it. I know it's gone to collection. I don't remember which court I went to. How can I resolve this? [ALL CONSUMING MODERATOR'S RESPONSE -- Since this occurred several years ago it may be showing on your credit report. You can pull a free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus once per year by going to Once you have pulled your reports you should be able to find the name of the collection agency and the court under the Collections & Judgments section. If you can’t find it there you will need to contact the court for the County you were living in, you can locate either the County or court contact information online using a search engine.]
Posted by: Tricia ( Email ) at 5/13/2013 6:38 PM

i got two moving violation tickets in spokane failure to yeild at a stop sign and failure to yield the right away . i do not have a job. but would have one if i had a drivers license i havent had another ticket in seven years. that seems to me thatrs punishment enough, evedentially i cant pay the fine i think their should be a statue of limintations on tickets . this would help the poor why cant this be changed really not driving for sevewn years i have missed out on so much. kids games jobs ect. how much more punishment should i get another seven yrs this is bull. this really needs to change. idaho will not release my license due to these fines in wa. please help
AGO Blog Manager (lk): The office of the Attorney General acts as attorneys for the state agencies. We cannot represent or give out legal advice to private citizens. This is a private civil matter and you should speak with a personal attorney. There are legal aid clinics out there to help. You can find one by calling the CLEAR hotline at 888-201-1014.
Posted by: cathy byrd ( Email ) at 10/9/2014 9:39 PM

Leave a comment
Name *
Email *

All comments are reviewed to ensure compliance with our Blog Comment and Use Policy. Comments are generally posted within two business days. Send Feedback
Content Bottom Graphic
AGO Logo