The Attorney General’s Office is proud to join forces with prevention leaders across Washington for the 2008 Washington State Prevention Summit, October 17-18 at the Yakima Convention Center. Teens will be taught to use the latest technology to create prevention programs in their schools.
As a member of the planning team, the AGO has dedicated a portion of its settlement with the makers of Oxycontin to fund the 2008 Youth Prevention Summit, providing scholarships to students and adults working to develop prevention programs in their communities to defray the cost of attending the summit.
For more information please go to the 2008 Washington State Prevention Summit website at http://casat.unr.edu/dasa/.
[Back to Top]
Please print a copy of the Forms Check Off List in order to ensure all applicable forms are downloaded and submitted to the proper organizations.
Youth Team Adult Advisor Forms
Please do NOT mail the forms in with registration and do NOT send them directly to DASA!
Youth will not be admitted to the Summit without these signed forms!
[Back to Top]
Registration and youth team scholarship information is now available online. The cost to attend for early bird rate* is $25 for youth and $125 for adults. See information below regarding youth team scholarships. For more information visit our website at http://casat.unr.edu/dasa/. (*Early bird (before October 1, 2008) registration is Adult $125 and Youth is $25. After October 1, 2008 Adult is $150 and Youth is $35).
Youth Teams &Team Advisors: New this year we are encouraging the participation in the Prevention Summit as a team. Each team consists of youth and at least one adult advisor. The Youth will be able to participate as teams to create a plan for a community project. Once back in their communities, the team can implement their plan with the tools they received at the Prevention Summit. Individual youth are still welcome to attend and will be joined with other youth for team activities. All youth must have a Chaperone. The adult advisor will participate with the youth team in the Youth Leadership Track. The Adult Advisor has a key role in providing guidance and working with the youth to develop project plans. Please see youth info for details at http://casat.unr.edu/dasa/chaperone_youth.html.
Professional’s Networking Soirée: Hosted by the Prevention Specialist Certification Board of Washington this is an excellent opportunity for established Prevention Professional to get together with old friends and collaborators and for new professionals to meet others working in the field. It is a great venue to enhance your relationships and partnerships across the state. The Professional Networking Soirée will be held on Thursday evening.
Youth Service Learning Projects: This year youth will participate in service learning projects in the Yakima area. Youth will experience first hand the value and power of working on a team and providing important service in the community. Participants of the youth leadership track will be assigned to either the blue or green group for the Summit.
Youth Team Scholarships: This year, with special funding from the Attorney General’s Office, scholarships will be available for youth teams bringing at least three youth. (See the Financial Assistance Application packet). For more information regarding scholarships please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Prevention Jam: Keep Life Fresher - This inspirational and motivational event will rally youth and adults together to empower youth and educate adults to capitalize on youth voice and take action in their communities.
Conversation Café for Professionals: Let’s bring those hallway conversations inside! We know that you all have things you’ve learned and things that challenge you- come and share with others as we introduce a new kind of workshop to the Prevention Summit. Moderated discussion topics will include, but are not limited to:
- Best practices: what works, what doesn’t?
- Cultural adaptations: where do we draw the line?
- GLBTQ: what’s gay got to do with it?
Comprehensive Extended Workshops: This year we will have extended workshops in the adult track to provide an in-depth learning experience for participants. We are excited to have Dave Shavel from CADCA joining us for one of these workshops to provide a thorough training on building coalition leadership and sustainability!
[Back to Top]
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Early registration (adults and youth)
- Prevention Professionals Networking Reception (tentative)
- Activity/crafts for youth
8:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Ice cream social for youth
- Mandatory chaperone meeting
7:30 am – 8:30 am
- Chaperone meeting (for those unable to attend on Thursday evening)
8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Conferences Sessions: Keynote speakers,
workshops, service learning (youth), Awards Lunch
4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Town Hall and Rally for all
5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
8:15 pm – 10:30 pm
- Youth activities – dance, crafts, movie room, etc.
8:00 am – 9:00 am
9:00 am – 1:30 pm
- Conferences Sessions: Keynote speakers, workshops, lunch
[Back to Top]
- DSHS, Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse (DASA)
- Office of the Attorney General
- Washington State Coalition to Reduce Underage Drinking (RUaD)
- Washington State Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant (SPF-SIG)
- DASA, Problem Gambling Program
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- TOGETHER! of Thurston County
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- Department of Community, Trade & Economic Development
- Washington State Alcohol/Drug Clearinghouse
- Washington State Mentors
- Washington Association for Substance Abuse and Violence Prevention
- Prevention Specialist Certification Board of Washington
- Washington State Liquor Control Board
- DSHS, Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration
- Washington National Guard
- Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen
- Washington State Department of Health, Tobacco Prevention & Control Program
[Back to Top ]
For questions about registration, please contact
Matt Brown, CASAT
Phone: (877) 922-6635
For questions about the content of the conference, please contact
Sarah Mariani, DSHS, DASA
Phone: (206) 272-2190
For questions regarding the youth team scholarships, please contact
Dan Bissonnette, Puget Sound ESD
Phone: (425) 917-7803
For questions about the Prevention Summit Youth/Chaperone forms, please contact
Rori Parker, CASAT Training Coordinator
Phone: (801) 581 - 8967 or toll free (866) 617 - 2816 (ask to be transfered to Rori Parker)
[Back to Top]