Washington State

Office of the Attorney General

Attorney General

Bob Ferguson

AG Ferguson speaking into microphone

In October 2017, the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) won a $3 million grant from the U.S. Department of Justice to assist law enforcement with testing and investigating untested sexual assault kits. An informal survey conducted by Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs revealed more than 6,000 untested sexual assault kits in Washington.

The grant, part of the Bureau of Justice Assistance Sexual Assault Kit Initiative, will fund a team within the Attorney General’s Office dedicated to processing the sexual assault kits. Once the kits are tested, the AGO will support law enforcement as they use the newfound information to reopen cold cases. The AGO will offer investigative assistance to law enforcement agencies, but will not take over their cases.

Testing these kits will not only identify serial rapists, but they can also link cases across the country even if the offender is unknown, provide critical links that could solve homicide cases, and provide answers to victims and their families. Throughout the project, the AGO will provide victim-centered trauma training to law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, and victim advocates.


INVENTORY STATUS (last updated 3/19/2019)

The Attorney General’s Office has received inventory information from 208 law enforcement agencies as of October 3, 2018. This is a 100 percent completion rate. The total of unsubmitted kits that have been reported is 6,725. More details will be released as the AGO SAKI team reviews the inventory data.

View a list of law enforcement agencies here.

In February 2019, the Attorney General's Office completed a comprehensive statewide inventory of unreported sexual assault kits, finding 632 kits where no report has been made to law enforcement.



The Attorney General’s Office has committed $750,000 in grant funds to test unsubmitted sexual assault kits. The Attorney General’s Office (AGO) is currently reviewing the inventory data and working with the Crime Lab to develop a plan for testing the kits, which could potentially provide DNA evidence for sexual assault investigations. 

The office will seek another $1.5 million after the completion of the final inventory phase, which will log partially tested kits. These are kits that have been tested under an outdated methodology that cannot be submitted to the federal database, or have only undergone an initial screening, rather than full DNA testing.


SAFE Advisory Group Meeting

November 5, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Attorney General’s Office
20th Floor: Chief Sealth Conference Room
800 5th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104

Click Here for Agenda

Previous Meeting Materials

Washington Sexual Assault Forensic Examination Best Practices Advisory Group 2019 Report



April 2017:  The AGO applied for the Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) grant

October 2017:  Grant awarded to AGO

April 2018:  The Department of Justice released 25% of the total $3 million in grant funds to the AGO (remaining 75% will be released upon completion of inventory)

April 2018:  The AGO hired two SAKI Investigators, Lindsey Wade and Marty Hill

June 2018:  SAKI Multidisciplinary Team created. This team, which will advise the Attorney General’s Office during the project, includes representatives from:

  • Law Enforcement
  • Prosecution
  • Crime Lab
  • Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners
  • Victim Advocacy

June 2018:  SAKI inventory instructions sent out to law enforcement agencies in Washington, excluding federal and tribal agencies

August 1, 2018: Target date for law enforcement agencies to complete inventory

August 9, 2018: Follow-up letter sent to law enforcement agencies requesting an estimate of when their inventory will be completed. This letter was only sent to law enforcement agencies who have not already provided an inventory list or given a timeline for completion.

October 2018: AGO completed a comprehensive statewide inventory of unsubmitted sexual assault kits 

February 2019: AGO completed a comprehensive statewide inventory of unreported sexual assault kits, finding 632 kits where no report has been made to law enforcement