Navigation Top
AGO Logo Graphic
AGO Header Image
File a Complaint
Contact the AGO
All Consuming
Return to main blog
Have You Heard About Tax Identity Theft?

Have You Heard About Tax Identity Theft?

(Identity Theft) Permanent link

Tax ID theft

Ready for tax season? If you haven’t heard about tax identity theft, you may not be.

Tax identity theft happens when someone files a phony tax return using your personal information — like your Social Security number — to get a tax refund from the IRS. It also can happen when someone uses your Social Security number to get a job or claims your child as a dependent on a tax return. Tax identity theft is the most common form of identity theft reported to the Federal Trade Commission. The IRS says tax identity theft is a top priority and says it has hired new staff, explored new technologies, and adopted new procedures to fight it.

For these reasons, the Attorney General's Office is participating in Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week, along with other federal, state, and local officials and law enforcement agencies. Here’s what you can do to lessen the chance you’ll be a victim: 

• File your tax return early in the tax season, if you can.

• Use a secure internet connection if you file electronically, or mail your tax return directly from the post office.

• Shred copies of your tax return, drafts, or calculation sheets you no longer need.

• Respond to all mail from the IRS as soon as possible.

• Know the IRS won’t contact you by email, text, or social media. If the IRS needs information, it will contact you by mail.

• Don’t give out your Social Security number (SSN) unless necessary.

• Research a tax preparer thoroughly before you hand over personal information.

• If your SSN has been compromised, contact the IRS ID Theft Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.

• Check your credit report at least once a year for free at to make sure no other accounts have been opened in your name.

What if you’re a victim? Tax identity theft victims typically find out about the crime when they get a letter from the IRS saying that more than one tax return was filed in the their name, or IRS records show they received wages from an employer they don’t know. If you get a letter like this, don’t panic. Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.

More information about tax identity theft is available from the FTC at and the IRS at

Posted by Alison Dempsey-Hall Blog Moderator at 01/27/2014 09:45:36 AM | 

If I know I am a victim of tax ID fraud and contacted the FTC and IRS, is there anything to file with the AG office?
AGO Blog Comment Manager (lw): Please contact our Consumer Protection Division at 800-551-4636 between 10 am and 3 pm for more information regarding what to do for identity theft.
Posted by: Craig Jackman ( Email ) at 3/17/2014 1:14 PM

I havnt worked since 2010, we always get our taxes done by professional. Like H&R block, liberty or jackson Hewitt. And we owed and payed them off, they took it out of our tax return. Due to our economy my husband and I got laid off. So ive been out of work since and my husband finally got employed three months ago, so we havnt recieved tax return since 2011. And now they say I owe over 400.00 and my husband owes over 2300.00 with state. So what do I do im literally sickened over this,. Asked around and found out it may be this girl who was fired from property management. That we rented from , I guess thats her M.O. now.
Posted by: Karen Obrien ( Email ) at 7/14/2014 1:59 AM

I have heard this done, but im curous . My friend had this done to her she said the girl who did it had all the cards delivered to her house, how come its not monitored better. I mean when I had my son and the hospital hyphened his name wrong we had issues with irs for the first years. I know its a pain but as popular as identity theft has been there security should be high security. Thses theives post signs on there lawns to do peoples taxes, there not licensed or work for reputable company. Its not normal for an average person to file 30 umteen tax returns. I can see maybe 3 to five since some people help family, not only that if an individual has done tax returns for 30 some people they should have a buisness licenses. There definitely not paying taxes on there earnings.
Its sad cause many of these cons tell people ( you can still get tax return even if you didnt work, you pay 400.00 to 1000.00 and keep the rest, and desperate people fall for it, even if there internal voice is saying , umm somethings wrong) . IRS is government. You can afford to put some pawns out there to investigate. Man I would do it for free just to stop these low lifes. Because even though im not that kind of person. I live in small town and could easily find out whos doing it. I mind my own buisness but when it comes to affecting inocent victims and childrens identity worth the cause. That is who you are forever to make a bad name for a child is just sick. I know its a huge pain. But for IRS identity theft we should get new social security cards. Then if those numbers show up it would be a givin.
Posted by: curious ( Email ) at 7/14/2014 2:24 AM

It's just sickening to think how often this happens! It can cause so much upset :(
Posted by: Sara ( Email ) at 8/2/2014 5:32 PM

Leave a comment
Name *
Email *

All comments are reviewed to ensure compliance with our Blog Comment and Use Policy. Comments are generally posted within two business days. Send Feedback
Content Bottom Graphic
AGO Logo