Tips for Kids
- Don’t Give Out Personal Information. This includes address, telephone number, real name, parent’s names, friend’s information, name and/or location of your school, school mascot, home town, passwords, social security numbers, etc.
- Never Agree to a Face-to-Face Meeting Without Your Parent’s Permission. Then have a parent go with you, and meet in a public location.
- Never Send a Picture of Yourself to Someone You Don’t Know. Ask your friends not to give out pictures of you either.
- Never Enter Online Contests. Contests for prizes or "free" stuff are usually scams, especially if it requires you to disclose any personal information.
- Don’t Respond to Messages That Are Mean or Threatening. Instead, report them to your parents and the online service. Depending on the message, your parents may want to report it to the police.
- Set Up Online Rules With Your Parents and Follow Them. Decide when you can be online, and for how long; what sites you can and cannot visit, and who you are allowed to communicate with.
- Be Polite and Kind to Others Online. Email is not always private, it may be shared. Never say anything you would not mind seeing posted on your school bulletin board.
- Never Download an Email Attachment From an Unknown Source. Opening a file can expose your system to a virus.
- Be Internet Safe Everywhere. Follow all of these rules regardless of whether you are at home, school, the library, or a friend’s house.