Washington State

Office of the Attorney General

Attorney General

Bob Ferguson

UPDATED NOTICE: On January 5, 2021, Virginia Mason Health System and CHI Franciscan Health announced that they have finalized the agreement regarding the transaction they first announced in July 2020. Pursuant to RCW 19.390, the Antitrust Division began a review of the affiliation and conducted an extensive examination. Over the course of several months, division staff interviewed competitors, major insurance providers, employers, labor groups, consumers and citizen advocacy groups. Staff also examined documentation required by that law along with thousands of pages of additional documents.

Following that review, the division determined that the merger plans at this point do not violate state or federal antitrust laws. The Antitrust Division will continue to monitor the integration progress between the two companies to ensure it continues to comply with federal and state antitrust laws.

The Office of the Attorney General's Antitrust Division is responsible for enforcing Federal and Washington State Antitrust Laws. This includes antitrust provisions of Washington's Unfair Business Practices-Consumer Protection Act. The division also brings actions in federal court under Sections One and Two of the Sherman Act. The Antitrust Division investigates complaints about potential anti-competitive activity.

Our office looks for:

  • Price-fixing and other forms of collusion. Price-fixing includes an explicit agreement among competitors to raise, fix, or otherwise maintain the price at which their goods or services are sold to the detriment of either the competitive marketplace or consumers.
  • Business mergers and monopolistic practices that would result in reduced competition and harm to consumers.

For a more in-depth description of antitrust laws, read our guide.

In this page you will find resources for the general public, as well as Government Procurement Representatives. You can file an Antitrust complaint or a Healthcare Transaction Notice, and review our latest cases and important information regarding gasoline prices and the labor market in Washington.

If you have any information that you think we should know about and your browser supports forms, you can file a complaint online here. If your browser does not support forms, you may either email us or print out the form and mail it to us at:

Office of the Attorney General
Antitrust Division
800 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, WA 98104-3188
Telephone: 206-587-5510
Fax: 206-464-6338

Please include your address and telephone number so we may contact you for additional information. The Antitrust Division only processes complaints that involve either Washington state residents or businesses located in Washington state.

Additionally, please be aware that your complaint and any related documents that you submit will become "public records."  Under state law, public records are subject to public records disclosure requests and may therefore be seen by other people.  Please see the Open Government portion of the Attorney General website.