Washington Management Service
Current Job Postings:
There are no open Washington Management Service positions at this time.
What is the Washington Management Service?
The Washington Management Service (WMS) is a personnel system designed specifically for management-level positions in Washington State government. The WMS:
- Recognizes the unique nature of management positions and the importance of strong management skills to effective state government
- Provides greater flexibility and responsibility in all areas of hiring, employee development, career advancement, and compensation
What are the most important features?
- Focuses on individual accountability for program results
- Emphasizes management training and development
- Provides flexibility in setting and changing salaries
- Provides for flexible hiring procedures
- Facilitates interagency and upward mobility
How is it different from traditional civil service?
- Managers have greater ability and responsibility to directly manage their own careers.
- Job assignments can be tailored to better use current skills or to develop new skills
- Agencies can adjust salaries to reflect changes in the position's responsibilities and the demonstrated growth and development of the manager
- Recruitment and hiring are handled by individual agencies, based on program and customer needs.