Washington Management Service
Current Job Postings:
Senior Operational Budget Manager, Tumwater. Closes 4/22/2014.
What is the Washington Management Service?
The Washington Management Service (WMS) is a personnel system designed specifically for management-level positions in Washington State government. The WMS:
- Recognizes the unique nature of management positions and the importance of strong management skills to effective state government
- Provides greater flexibility and responsibility in all areas of hiring, employee development, career advancement, and compensation
What are the most important features?
- Focuses on individual accountability for program results
- Emphasizes management training and development
- Provides flexibility in setting and changing salaries
- Provides for flexible hiring procedures
- Facilitates interagency and upward mobility
How is it different from traditional civil service?
- Managers have greater ability and responsibility to directly manage their own careers.
- Job assignments can be tailored to better use current skills or to develop new skills
- Agencies can adjust salaries to reflect changes in the position's responsibilities and the demonstrated growth and development of the manager
- Recruitment and hiring are handled by individual agencies, based on program and customer needs.
The Attorney General's Office respects and encourages diversity in the work force.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application and/or interview process or requiring any information in an alternative format may contact Kalea Muigai at (360) 586-7698. Those in need of accommodation for a hearing impairment may contact Telecommunication Relay Services, a resource for TTY users, by dialing 711 or (800) 833-6388.