Washington State

Office of the Attorney General

Attorney General

Bob Ferguson

The Attorney General’s Office does not handle complaints about issues relating to the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act.  Here is a list of resources that may assist you with residential landlord/tenant issues:

Help for Tenants:

  • Self Help Brochure
  •  Lawyer Referral
    •  If you need low cost legal assistance, contact the Washington State Bar Association, or your county bar association and ask about its lawyer referral program.
  • Statewide Legal Services for Tenants
  • Solid Ground Tenant Counseling & Education
              Tenant Services Line
              10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday and Thursday, 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Wednesday
              (206) 694-6767

Some of the following resources are specific to King County. For resources in your area, contact the Washington State 2-1-1 at 2-1-1 from a landline, 206-461-3200 or 800-621-4636 or 206-461-3610 for TTY/hearing impaired calls.

  • Washington LawHelp:
  • CLEAR Line Legal Help
    • 888-201-1014 — Northwest Justice Project’s free legal help and assistance for low-income Washington State residents. Open Mon–Fri, 9:15 am–12:15 pm.
      • Low-income
      • Residents outside of King County
      • Phone interpreter services in all languages, less frequently requested languages will require wait times
  • Housing Justice Project
    • 206-267-7090 — King County Bar Association’s walk-in legal information and assistance. Priority service for renters facing evictions. Open Mon–Fri, 8–10:30 am, in the King County Courthouse in Seattle and Kent Regional Justice Center. Seattle location also open Mon, 3:45-4:45 pm.
      • Low-income
      • King County residents
      • Residential tenants only – no business tenants or homeowners
      • Languages: English, Spanish
      • They will first request that the court provide an interpreter
      • If that is not an option,  phone and Skype interpreter services for all other languages, less frequently requested languages will have to schedule an appointment
    • 206-464-1519 — Legal help for tenants in public housing or with Section 8 vouchers facing subsidy termination or eviction.
      • Low-income
      • Residents statewide
      • Phone interpreters in any language
      • If they take the case, they get interpreters to attend all appointments in person
  • Tacomaprobono Housing Justice Project (HJP):
    • 253-572-5134, or vls@tacomaprobono.org — A Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association program that offers legal advice and potentially representation for landlord-tenant issues, including evictions. HJP attorneys are available Mon-Thu afternoons in the Pierce County Courthouse Law Library. No appointment is necessary if you have an unlawful detainer hearing scheduled Mon-Thu.
      • Low-income
      • Case needs to be in Pierce County, but do not need to be a Pierce County resident
      • Additional online information and resources are available at: http://www.tacomaprobono.org/hjp.html.
  • Tenant Law Center
    • 206-324-6890 — A part of Catholic Community Services, Tenant Law Center offers legal advice and assistance for low-income Seattle renters facing eviction, repair problems, deposit loss, subsidy termination, lockouts and other issues.
      • Low-income
      • King County residents only
      • Phone interpreters in any language via Language Line and Catholic Community Services
  • Tenants Union of WA State - Tenant Counseling & Education
    • Statewide Tenants Rights Hotline: 206-723-0500
      • Mon-Wed: 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. & 1:30-4:00 p.m.
      • Thursday: 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
      • Saturday: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
    • Tenant Counseling Walk-in Clinics (Please bring any paperwork and/or notices you’ve received regarding your housing issue.)
      • To confirm current clinic locations and hours please visit Tenant Union's website
        • Airway Heights
          • Twice monthly - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month 1:30 – 3:30pm
          • Airway Heights Recreation Center: 13120 W. 13th Ave, Airway Heights, WA 99001  
        • Burien
          • Twice monthly - 1st and last Wednesday of the month, 4:00 – 6:00pm
          • Burien Community Center: 14700 6th Ave SW, Burien, Washington 98166      
        • Seattle/Columbia City
          • Weekly - Monday and Tuesday, 1:30 – 4:00pm   Tenants Union of WA office: 5425 Rainier Ave S Ste B, Seattle WA 98118 
        • Seattle/Lake City 
          • Weekly - Thursdays, 4:00 – 6:00pm
          • North Helpline Food Bank: 12736 33rd Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125  
        • Spokane
          • Weekly - Tuesdays 1:30 – 3:30pm
          • American Indian Community Center: 610 E. North Foothills Drive, Spokane, WA 99207
        • Spokane
          • Twice monthly - 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month 1:30 – 3:30pm
          • Spokane Valley Partners: 10814 E. Broadway Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99206
        • Spokane
          • Weekly - Thursdays 10:30am – 12:30pm
          • Catholic Charities HFCA: 19 W. Pacific, Spokane, WA 99201
  • Neighborhood Legal Clinics
    • 206-267-7070 — King County Bar Association’s legal clinics located across King County, NLC attorneys can provide a free half hour of legal advice to renters, regardless of income.
      • No income restrictions
      • King County residents
      • Phone interpreter services in all languages, less frequently requested languages will require wait times or an appointment
  • Volunteer Legal Services
    • 206-267-7010 — King County Bar Association’s lawyer referral service.
      • King County residents
      • Phone interpreters in any language
  • Moderate Means Program:
    •  The Moderate Means Program is a partnership between the Washington State Bar Association and Washington’s 3 law schools. MMP connects people within 200–400% of the Federal Poverty Level to lawyers who offer legal help at reduced fees.

Select the language you prefer under “Languages other than English,” click the search button, and a list of attorneys that speak that language and their location will appear.

  • CLEAR*Senior Legal Help
    • 888-387-7111 — Northwest Justice Project’s free legal help and assistance for persons over 60 years of age of all income levels. Seniors can call the CLEARSenior Line starting at 9:15 am and leave a message. The line will close for the day once the voicemail message system is full.
      • No income restrictions
      • Residents statewide
      • Phone interpreter services in all languages, less frequently requested languages will require wait times or an appointment
  • Lawyer Referral Service
    • 206-267-7010 — King County Bar Association attorneys for hire at regular rates.
      • No income restrictions
      • King County residents
      • Phone interpreter services in all languages, less frequently requested languages will require wait times or an appointment
  • Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can call CLEAR or 2-1-1 (or toll-free 1-877-211-9274) using the relay service of their choice.
  • Complaints and Inquiries about Housing Codes:
    •  Call your local city or county zoning or building departments
  • Low Income Housing:
    • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
        909 First Avenue, Suite 190
        Seattle, WA 98104
        (206) 220-5205
  • Senior Housing Issues:
  • Housing Discrimination:
    • Washington State Human Rights Commission
        1511 Third Ave.
        Suite 921
        Seattle, WA 98101
        (206) 464-6500
        Toll-free: 1-800-233-3247
    • Also, contact your city or county Human Rights or Civil Rights agency.\

Additional Resources:


Resources for Rental Housing Landlords :

The Rental Housing Association of Washington  provides advocacy and education services for roughly 5,000 rental housing owners--ranging from single family homes to multifamily communities. They also provide information for tenants. Based in Seattle, they can be reached toll-free at 1-800-335-2990.


Information about Small Claims Court:

To recover money for an amount up to $5,000.



A number of local agencies offer landlord-tenant information.

King County:
King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project
(206) 267-7090

The Tenants Union
(206) 723-0500

Seattle Office of Housing
(206) 684-2489

Catholic Community Services, Legal Action Center
(206) 324-6890

Pierce County:
Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
Volunteer Legal Service Program
Tacoma-Pierce County Housing Justice Project

Skagit County:
Skagit Community Action Agency
Volunteer Lawyer Program for eligible low-income residents
(888) 201-1014 (CLEAR) to determine eligibility
(360) 416-7585 for questions
Email: VLP@communityactionskagit.org

City of Tacoma:
Landlord-Tenant Services
747 Market Street
Room 108
Tacoma, WA 98402
(253) 591-5000

Whatcom County:
Whatcom County Opportunity Council
(360) 734-5121 From Bellingham
(360) 384-1470 County-Wide

LAW Advocates
(888) 201-1014 To determine eligibility
(360) 671-6079 for appointments
Telephone only, no walk-ins

Office of Neighborhood Development Services
(509) 575-6101



There are a number of local organizations that offer dispute resolution services:

City of Bellevue:
Bellevue Neighborhood Mediation Program
(425) 452-4091

Clark County:
Community Mediation Services
360) 334-5862

Island County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties

King County:
King County Dispute Resolution Center
(206) 443-9603

Lewis County:
Community Mediation Center of Lewis County
(360) 748-0492

Pierce County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Pierce County
(253) 572-3657

Skagit County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
(360) 542-8487

Snohomish County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
(425) 339-1335

Northwest Mediation Center
(509) 456-0103

Thurston County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Thurston County
(360) 956-1155



If you have questions about the resources listed on this page, contact our consumer resource center:
call centers are open M-F 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

  • 1-800-551-4636 (in-state only)
  • 1-206-464-6684 (out-of-state callers)
  • 1-800-833-6388 (Washington State Relay Service for the hearing impaired)

[Back to Top]